Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Service E911 Disclosure and Notice Addendum
The Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”) requires Colorado Central Telecom, Inc. (hereinafter “Colorado Central Telecom”), operating interconnected Voice over internet Protocol service (“VoIP Services”) using the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN), to meet Enhanced 911 (E911) obligations. E911 systems automatically provide emergency service personnel with a 911 caller’s call-back number and, in most cases, location information. Colorado Central Telecom must (1) inform its customers of the key differences between how Colorado Central Telecom’s VoIP Services work versus how traditional 911 services work when accessed using a traditional landline telephone network; (2) obtain an affirmative acknowledgement (i.e. signed form) from its customers showing that they have read and understood these differences; and (3) to keep this customer signed form on file showing that they have received, read and understand Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Services E911 Disclosure and Notice Addendum (hereinafter referred to as the “Addendum”). A copy of the FCC VoIP E911 Order establishing the notice and record keeping requirements contained in this Addendum is available at https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/voip-and-911-service.
Colorado Central Telecom cannot provide Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Services until you have carefully reviewed this document, signed and dated it at the bottom. Please read this document carefully before you sign it.
By signing or electronically agreeing to this Addendum, you are affirmatively acknowledging that (1) you have read and understood this Addendum; (2) you understand that you may not be able to contact emergency services by dialing 9-1-1 using Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Services; and (3) you understand that you must inform users of Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Services at your location that they may not be able to contact emergency services by dialing 9-1-1 using Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Services.
For purposes of this Addendum, “Colorado Central Telecom” means the entity, subsidiary or affiliates of Colorado Central Telecom that provide(s) VoIP Services. If you have any questions or concerns about the information contained in this Addendum, please contact Colorado Central Telecom 719-937-7700.
For purposes of this Addendum, “Registered Address” means the physical address where the Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Services equipment is placed and activated for VoIP service. If the VoIP Services provided by Colorado Central Telecom include one or more extensions, each extension must be identified by the physical address, including as needed additional location information regarding where each extension is installed and activated, in order to be able to adequately identify the location where a 911 calling party is located.
- Colorado Central Telecom VoIP E911 Services may not operate during a power outage. The analog telephone adapter (ATA) device provided by Colorado Central telecom connects your Colorado Central Telecom or other internet service provider’s broadband service to your analog or digital telephone handset. You may alternatively have an IP phone provided by you or Colorado Central Telecom. The ATA or IP phone is powered by your home or business location’s electrical power. When the ATA or IP phone loses power and shuts down, your VoIP Services including your ability to dial 9-1-1 will not work. Once power service is restored, you may be required to reset your equipment before you will be able to use Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Services to contact E911 services. You are responsible for providing an uninterruptible backup power supply if you wish to ensure continued operation of your broadband internet, VoIP Services and other electrical equipment in the event of a power outage. COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM VOIP SERVICES AND E911 SERVICES WILL NOT OPERATE IF YOUR BROADBAND CONNECTION IS DISRUPTED. You understand and acknowledge that service outages, interruptions or degradation, or termination or suspension for any reason, of broadband internet service or connectivity provided by Colorado Central Telecom or any other internet service provider will prevent you from using the VoIP Services, including E911 services, even if a battery backup is working.
- COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM VOIP AND E911 SERVICE CALLS MAY NOT COMPLETED OR MAY BE ROUTED TO EMERGENCY PERSONNEL WHO WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ASSIST IF YOU DISABLE, DAMAGE OR MOVE THE EQUIPMENT TO A LOCATION OTHER THAN THE REGISTERED ADDRESS YOU PROVIDED TO COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM WHEN SERVICE WAS INITIATED. You understand and acknowledge that VoIP E911 services will not function if you move your Colorado Central Telecom VoIP device(s) to a different street address or location other than your Registered Address. You also acknowledge that it may take several days for any change in address to be processed. Accordingly, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for notifying Colorado Central Telecom’s VoIP Services Administrator in advance of all changes to your Registered Address by contacting Colorado Central Telecom at 719-937-7700.
- EMERGENCY PERSONNEL MAY NOT BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY YOUR PHONE NUMBER IN ORDER TO CALL YOU BACK. You understand and acknowledge that public safety answering point (“PSAP”) and emergency personnel may not be able to identify your phone number in order to call you back if the VoIP call cannot be completed, is dropped or disconnected and/or if your VoIP Service is not operational for any reason.
- COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM VOIP SERVICE E911 SERVICE CALLS MAY BE DELAYED OR DROPPED DUE TO NETWORK ARCHITECTURE. You understand and acknowledge that, due to technical constraints there is a greater possibility of network congestion and/or delays in the routing of a 911 call made utilizing your VoIP Services equipment as compared to dialing 9-1-1 over traditional public switched telephone networks.
- IN ADDITION, YOU SHOULD MAINTAIN ALTERNATE MEANS OF CONTACTING E911 SERVICES AND YOU MUST INFORM USERS OF COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM VOIP SERVICE OF THESE ALTERNATE MEANS. Your equipment will have a sticker affixed explaining 911/E911 service limitations. If you require additional stickers, please contact Colorado Central Telecom Customer Service at 719-937-7700.
BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT, YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT IN NO EVENT SHALL COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM, ANY SUBSIDIARY, OR ITS AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, AGENTS OR ANY OTHER THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OR VENDORS WHO MAY FURNISH SERVICES OR PRODUCTS TO YOU IN CONNECTION WITH THE VOIP SERVICES OR THE EQUIPMENT, BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGE, OR LOSS WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO E911 DIALING AND YOU HEREBY VOLUNTARILY AND KNOWINGLY WAIVE ANY AND ALL SUCH CLAIMS OR CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO E911 DIALING.
BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT, YOU FURTHER UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM DOES NOT HAVE ANY CONTROL OVER WHETHER, OR THE MANNER IN WHICH 911 OR E911 CALLS USING THE VOIP SERVICES ARE ANSWERED OR ADDRESSED BY ANY LOCAL EMERGENCY RESPONSE CENTER. YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR UPDATING YOUR REGISTERED ADDRESS WITH COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM PRIOR TO MOVING VOIP SERVICES EQUIPMENT TO ANY LOCATION OTHER THAN ITS ORIGINALLY REGISTERED ADDRESS. COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM DISCLAIMS ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONDUCT OF LOCAL EMERGENCY RESPONSE CENTERS AND THE NATIONAL EMERGENCY CALLING CENTER FOR INABILITY TO LOCATE A E911 CALL AT YOUR REGISTERED ADDRESS.
BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT, YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE THAT COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM RELIES ON THIRD PARTIES TO ASSIST COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM TO ROUTE E911 CALLS TO LOCAL EMERGENCY RESPONSE CENTERS. COLORADO CENTRAL TELECOM DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY IN THE EVENT SUCH THIRD PARTY DATA, EQUIPMENT, PERSONNEL USED TO ROUTE CALLS IS INCORRECT OR YIELDS AN ERRONEOUS RESULT.
I acknowledge that I have received, read and understand this Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Service E911 Disclosure and Notice Addendum. I represent and warrant that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age, that I have the legal right and ability to enter into this Agreement and that my name, user name, contact information and address information provided in order to obtain Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Service are true and correct.
|Subscriber Name (Printed):||n|
Why do I have to sign this?
VoIP phone service works differently than regular landline phones. It’s especially important to be aware of these differences during emergencies, because power failures and Internet outages will affect your ability to call 911 and other emergency services.
Colorado Central Telecom’s E911 Disclosure and Notice Addendum is intended to ensure all VoIP customers understand these limitations. The disclosure is also required by the Federal Communications Commission.
To that end, Colorado Central Telecom is requiring all VoIP customers to complete our E911 Disclosure and Notice Addendum. Colorado Central Telecom is also providing all our VoIP customers with an ATA sticker describing the following must-know scenarios:
- As with all VoIP services, Colorado Central Telecom VoIP Services may not work during a power outage. This can be prevented by purchasing battery backup, also called an uninterruptible backup power supply.
- Your VoIP phone operates over the same network as your Internet service. As such, your VoIP phone will not function in the event of an Internet outage or other service interruption, even if the battery backup is working.
- If you move your ATA box to a new residence without updating your registered address, 911 calls may not work correctly. They may fail to complete, or emergency personnel may be unable to identify your location.